Diversity and equality
Octavia strongly believes in the value of mixed communities. As one of the oldest affordable housing providers in the UK, we have an important role to play in sustaining the capital’s rich diversity and social mix.
We make sure that equality and diversity is reflected in all that we do and we constantly look for opportunities to make improvements to our service, our employment practices and the way our organisation is run.
Our aim is to make changes that will have a positive impact for residents and our staff.
Some of the areas we are currently focusing on include:
- how changes to the welfare system are affecting our residents and how we can support them to meet these challenges
- helping residents to understand what personalisation of social care means for them and to make informed choices
- finding new ways to support young people into work and training
- improving the service we offer to residents with disabilities
- making sure residents know about our approach to tackling hate incidents and the support we can offer to those who experience hate incidents
- improving the information we hold about residents and using it to target our services more effectively
We are committed to making sure our Board and our staff reflect the communities we work in and we have both residents’ and staff diversity groups which meet every three months. We make sure that the contractors we partner with have an equally strong commitment to diversity.