Calling all budding directors
The Octavia Foundation has launched a schools film competition to celebrate the launch of Base@theReed, a new digital media youth club situated in North Kensington.
Students aged 11-18 from schools in the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea, Hammersmith and Fulham, Westminster and Brent are being invited to create a two-minute film based on one of the following themes: ‘My community’ or ‘If I had the power to change the world I would…’
The film maker(s) can work in teams or as individuals and the films can be made on anything from a mobile phone to a camcorder, an iPad to a DSLR. They can also be any genre from comedy, animation or music to video, documentary, action, drama or a news report.
Andrew South, Digital Media Programme Manager at the Octavia Foundation said:
“We’re looking for original and imaginative films that have a positive and inspiring message. The Octavia Foundation Schools Film Competition is a great way for schools to inspire young people to celebrate what they care about whilst encouraging them to communicate clearly, think creatively and find out more about film making.”
The competition will be broken down into two separate age categories: Group 1 – Y7–Y11 and Group 2 – Y12 and Y13. Shortlisted film-makers will be invited to an awards evening at Base@theReed on Wednesday 29th November when the results of the competition will be announced. Prizes include £1,000 for the winning schools and £250 worth of Amazon vouchers for the winning students.
Schools are being encouraged to share their film competition stories on social media using the hashtag #MyOctaviaFilm
Whether this is a message about what students are up to, a picture from the creative process or even a tip from the young film makers, schools can share their updates with @Octavia_Fdn
For more information visit octaviafoundation.org.uk or email firstname.lastname@example.org. The closing date for entries is Friday 20th October at 5pm.
Notes to editors:
- Base@theReed is a new digital media hub located in North Kensington. From September, it will be offering free, fun and engaging digital media training sessions for young people aged 10-21 (and to 27 with additional needs).
- The space will have industry-standard equipment which will allow young people to create and develop high-quality film and music content under the helpful guidance of fully trained youth workers.
- The sessions are open to all skill levels, from beginners who'd like to have a go to those interested in working in the digital industries.
Activities in September/October will include:
Drop in sessions - come and try out:
- Music production
- Sound effects
Sessions for youth clubs - bring along a group and try us out, we can create an activity
especially for you.
From October we will be offering:
- Film-making and music video production on Tuesday and Thursday evenings
- Sessions for youth clubs - as above
Octavia Foundation Schools Film Competition
Students should send their finished films to Andrew South, Digital Media Programme Manager, email@example.com via either a YouTube or Vimeo link or through DropBox/WeTransfer. When uploading the film to YouTube/Vimeo please use the hashtags #OctaviaFoundation #BaseAtTheReed #MyOctaviaFilm